Monday, June 23, 2008

Toddler Emotions

I had a draft written that was all complainy about how Patrick is not sleeping anymore and the grumpy, bleary-eyed Lettie was back, but I guess our little angel baby decided to return because he slept peacefully all night last night. Yay!


I really wanted to get a post in before our blog becomes overridden with chicken information and pictures, so I thought I could talk about what the boys have been doing and learning lately.


Patrick's 6-month birthday was yesterday. He's been super cute lately. He's started giving sloppy kisses on the cheek and saying "ma-ma". He's still the best baby! He is trying desperately to be mobile. He kind of swims in the floor and tries so hard to crawl, but he can't get his arms and legs moving together. He also constantly bounces and moves his feet when he is being held. He loves his big brother more than anything. All it takes is a look from Jackson to entice a belly laugh.


Jackson has been learning about emotions. He's understood "happy" and "sad" for a couple of months now and just recently introduced "bored" one day while shopping at the mall. Not only is it cute and neat that he understands these complex concepts, but it has come in handy as a parenting tool. It always gets his attention when I declare "Mommy is sad" after, for example, he drops a bottle of apple juice on his little brother in the shopping cart, or scribbles a multi-colored work of art on the laundry room wall. The "mommy is sad" announcement always gets his attention and he is usually on his best behavior until he can get happy mommy back. And now that mommy is sleeping, she is definitely happier!



Oh yeah...the chicks shipped today, so they will be here soon... Prepare yourselves!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's such a beautiful photo! I hope I get to hear Patrick say "Mama" soon - how sweet!!! I have used the "Mommy is sad" trick on Gabe too - I love turning the tables on him like that ;). I think I will die of laughter the first time I hear him tell me he's bored though!!!

P.S. I saw a comment by your friend The Nester on a random blog I was reading today, and I thought of you :).

Anonymous said...

Sleep makes all the difference, doesn't it?!?

Anonymous said...

We need to keep this non-chicken talk to a minimum to save space for all the blogging that is about to begin. Thanks for your cooperation!