Sunday, July 13, 2008

Ready To Leave The Nest

Today we are completing Week 3 for the chickens. They have grown in ridiculous fashion. At this point, they have most of their feathers, but still lack a little on their necks. Their wings have grown in, and they like to flap around the box. They also fight with each other when the box walls start to feel claustrophobic. I thought fighting would focus on beak attacks, but no. These guys jump, flap their wings, and use their feet to claw at each other's head. It's really quite violent and I hope Jackson doesn't see this. It is not in my best interest to give him another tool to use during a terrible tantrum.

I worked on the coop some more this weekend. I didn't get as much done as I wanted (as usual). It's close, but still not done. I think the girls will move in as soon as I can get it finished. Here's the current picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexlettie/2666614080/

We've decided the coop will move throughout the yard where next year's garden is planned. Our cucumbers have been growing like crazy, and the tomatoes will be excellent if they ever ripen. I like gardens. Next year's will be dramatic.

Jackson has been talking like crazy lately. He wants to learn the right way to say his words, but most of them are still difficult to understand. Jackson is also excited about his upcoming Happy Birthday party. It's a 2.5 year party since he didn't get a 2 year party due to a little brother being hatched. Jackson expects everyone to wear birthday hats and I expect everyone to give praise to the finished chicken coop.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you will have enough hamburgers for me :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, so you went w/ the classic red & white. Very nice. When do they start laying eggs?

I'll have my birthday hat on even though I won't be at Jackson's party! 2 1/2 already!