Friday, December 12, 2008

Sad Day

I'm afraid it might be time to say goodbye to one of our oldest, and most dependable friends.  On Wednesday morning I had a 1979 Impala prevent me from getting to work on time.  We were driving beside each other and the Impala had a hard time stopping in time to not rear-end the car in front of them.  They swerved into me, and used their bumper to hook the backside of the truck.  And of course, I had just filled up the tank with gas.

The 1992 S-10 was the car that I learned to drive on, and Dad and I traded it back and forth so that we both owned it twice.  It was a good truck.  The engine and transmission are in good shape.  Despite being built in Detroit, this truck can still go a lot longer.

Due to 243,180 miles, the body shop and police man and tow truck driver all say it is totaled.  The damage isn't terrible though.  It needs a new bed.  I hate to see that vintage UA sticker get smashed.  Insurance still hasn't examined it, so it's possible that it isn't totaled.  I'm not holding my breath and I've started to look for a new vehicle.


I wasn't prepared to buy a car so I have no idea what I want.  At first I was thinking that I would get the truck fixed no matter what.  Then I was thinking about getting another truck, but with 4 seats to haul babies if necessary.  I don't like huge trucks, or uselessly small truck beds.  Now I'm thinking about getting a car and a trailer for Lettie's car when we need to haul something.  I'm trying to decide if I want a nice car, or a regular car while I'm waiting on insurance to work through their paperwork.

Blog Readers Question:  Would you still talk to me if I drove a car that was a lot nicer than yours?  Not to brag, but I really would be a whole lot better than you.  This truck might have been the only thing keeping me grounded.

6 comments:

Janie Mauter said...

While I certainly hate to see it go, since I too grew up driving it, I think it's time. I think you can't get a nicer vehicle than me since you're known as the guy with the old truck.

CJG said...

Wow, that's really annoying. Are you sure this isn't just an elaborate scheme because we just got a new (admittedly cheap) car (if I say 'car' does that cover up that it's actually a minivan?).

To answer your question, I would still talk to you. That would give me an excuse to have an issue with my beater car and upgrade to an even better one than you get.

Unknown said...

I win. Even though I hate to see it happen like this.

I would recommend buying a 1991 Nissan Hardbody King Cab Truck. I know a guy that could get you a pretty good deal on one if you're interested.

Елизавета said...

If you siphon the gas out of the S10 to put into your new, nicer-car-than-mine car, then I would still continue to talk to you.
You would be "the guy who siphoned gas out of that old truck for his nicer car."

Brian Mauter said...

What's better than having one Infinity vehicle in your fleet? TWO Infinity vehicles!

You ARE obviously better than us Mauters since you already own one luxury vehicle. Why not widen that gap and really make a statement with a second? Bonus points if you mistreat the new Infinity.

-Brian

Jerrod Moll said...

Wow....not even a phone call? I mean with all we went through in that truck. Do I still have time to come and say goodbye? I guess I will still talk to you but it will only be because your car no longer smells like mildew. Dont get a car they are to low to the ground and you will feel even shorter.