Friday, January 23, 2009

Being Humble

Over the years my mother-in-law, Linda, has often stated that children teach you to be humble.  I never really understood this until I had children of my own.

Sometimes it's their embarrassing actions (growling at people as a greeting or announcing to someone "my booty itches"), but more often for me, it's about accepting that I can't be a perfect mom.

I sent out invitations for Jackson's 3rd birthday party this week.  I've always made his invitations myself, but to make things easier on myself I used store bought invitations this time.  Jackson decided on a fire truck cake this year and I happened to have some dalmation invitations lying around so I put them to use.  

These invitations definitely tried my patience.  I had to experiment for over an hour to figure out how to get the text to print on them correctly.  After I finally got them all printed I had to assemble the little dog collar/tag embellishment on them.  This consisted of threading a plastic cord through a tiny, stiff opening in the paper.  I tore most of them and kept forgetting to put the tag on the collar before I threaded it through so I ended up threading that little cord at least twice. 
I sent them out anyway, even though they are far from perfect and I didn't really make them myself.  That's only one of the million ways I've been humble this week.

So, if you get one of the torn invitations, please understand.  I only hope that the fire truck cake I promised him doesn't prove to be more of a lesson in humility.
Hope to see you there!

6 comments:

Janie Mauter said...

Ok.
#1 - I have often heard that phrase from my mom and I too never really understood it until Samantha came along. And Sam can't even talk yet...
#2 - If you spent that much time on the invitations, I think that definitely qualifies as "making them yourself." Give yourself some credit.
#3 - The invitations looks great!

Jerrod Moll said...

Mere is wearing her tag and collar as a watch.

Brian Mauter said...

Sam must be special because her invitation wasn't one of the ripped ones. Only the best for us, thank you. :)

Anonymous said...

Great post Lettie, I think all moms can relate :)!! Just wanted you to know that Gabe was thrilled to get his very own mail, and he has played with/looked at/talked about his invitation for at least an hour's worth over the past couple of days - so I hope that makes all your effort seem more worth while ;). We are looking forward to the party! - Jess

Susan said...

Your post was great for me to read b/c I had a bad day yesterday at the mall where Meredith totally embarrassed me but I need to look at it as a humbling experience! I loved the invitations! I don't know what you are talking about, they are super cute. Meredith loved it! We aren't going to be able to make it to the party next weekend. =( Maybe we can get together soon? We should make a day and hang out. I wonder if there is somewhere we could meet that would be fun for the kids?

Lettie said...

Jane & Brian: Thanks! And, yes only the best for our niece!

Jerrod and Susan: Glad mer likes her new jewelry. It's bad enough when they act out at home but so much worse in public. We'll miss yall Saturday! We definitely, totally, absolutely need to get together SOON!!! We miss yall!

Jess: Can't wait to see you Saturday! I think Gabe might be one of the only ones who can make it, but it will still be lots of fun.