Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Blogger Poll

Alright Alex's Blog groupies, it's Super Wednesday which means it's time to let your voices be heard. Lettie and I need your help deciding how to finish the deck floor. We've been arguing all week, and I might be losing. We need you guys to settle this for us. Here's what it looks like right now:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexlettie/

The question is.... Do we paint the deck floor with a checkerboard pattern (clearly not orange/white checkers), or do we put a simple, yet tasteful and classic, wood preserver down.

Pros/Cons of the painted floor:
Sure it looks cool when we finish it, but how does it look after Jackson and Patrick do Big Wheel donuts all over it. Also, the sun will fade the paint and the checkers will be near impossible to repaint. We've discussed putting polyurethane on top of the paint, but we don't want a thick layer of sealant. Here's an example floor, but ignore the rich person furniture:
http://www.artsparx.com/floor_painting_intro.asp

Pros/Cons of the sealed floor:
It's easy, it lasts forever, and it looks pretty good on a deck. I'm not re-creating the oval office floor:
http://www.whitehousemuseum.org/west-wing/oval-office-history.htm (very bottom picture). This is a simple deck, and should be treated as such.

Please make your vote work for you by posting a comment to this post. If you vote for the winning theme, you will be invited to the deck warming party. If you vote for the losing theme, but it's the same theme that I want, then we will have our own party and it will be way cooler than Lettie's party. If you vote for the losing theme and I win, you will move one step closer to archenemy.

I need to tell you that your vote counts once, but Lettie and my vote counts more. Your comments are equally important. Please use your name because I don't want a bunch of anonymous archenemies to hunt down.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to add that we're (I) am planning on green and white for the checkerboard colors. I know it's a surprise for everyone that I'm painting something green.

Anonymous said...

I would lean away from painting the deck. I would stain it with a film stain by Cabot and get a nice outdoor rug. If Lettie likes green, you could try astroturf. A painted floor would probably not stand up well to lucy's nails or the Wild Animal

Anonymous said...

I'm all about compromise. What about staining the deck in a checkerboard pattern? You could use two different colored stains, one light, one dark.

Brian Mauter said...

The painting idea is really neat but would take forever; I thought you guys were ready to be done with this thing.

Brian Mauter said...

Oh yeah, I'd go with stain.

Anonymous said...

I vote for whatever Lettie wants.
Alex's DAD.

Anonymous said...

Wow, cool, I definitely think you should make an Oval Deck and go with the White House floor pattern - that would be a good conversation starter for that party.

I'm not giving an opinion, because if I end up with the archenemy outcome, I don't want to have to move. It would get even more complicated if Jess' vote gets her invited to the party and you throw the party while I'm packing up to move.