Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Chicken Fever

I have had chicken fever for more than a year now, and now Lettie has a mild case. Someone my sister Lisa knows needed to get rid of 2 chickens quickly, so I volunteered to take them. Sadly they were taken before my offer came. As you can imagine, this was extremely devastating to the Burns household. We had convinced ourselves that we were chicken people, and that was taken from us. But, the free chicken lady is giving me her coop. It’s a tractor coop that I hope will work perfect for me and 2 or 3 chickens. Here’s a video of the coop: chicken tractor
Lisa and I are going to pick up the coop on Sunday. I hope to talk to my cousins Shea and Dennis about their chickens. Dennis is a chicken connoisseur and competes his chickens at different blue ribbon fairs. I don't think he has won, but that's not the point. Dennis has nice chickens. With his expertise and my desire, I think these chickens could make dreams come true.

I found this site which has chickens to purchase, and lots of information. Then even have an 8 chapter book on all stages of chicken raising. Did you know you can buy chicken diapers in different sizes? Currently, the Amermaucana is my favorite breed.

Thanks to Shea, Dennis, and Lisa. You planted the dream in my head that having chickens could be possible. I’ll be forever grateful

Do any of you have any helpful advice for raising chickens? Anyone need some eggs?

7 comments:

The Nester said...

I'm here because I have NO advice on raising chickens. I thought chicken fever was gonna be some scary disease! You family is beautiful and I didn't have time to read much but can't wait to see how your deck floor turns out!

Brian Mauter said...

My 9-year-old cousin Peter has a whole coop of chickens. You might be able to purchase a couple off of him. All of them have names and personalities. One word of caution: he's a tough negotiator.

Holly said...

CHICKEN DIAPERS! I am still laughing 5 minutes later after leaving that link. It's like the time we had to put "bitches britches" on Bailey. Sorry to curse on your family friendly blog, but that's what the breeder called them. It won't happen again. The coup/coop(?) is sooo cute! It looks like it should be in a Foghorn Leghorn cartoon...you know, where he keeps hitting on all the hens?

Lettie said...

holly:
I know! chicken diapers still provide me with lots of laughs.
I forgot about Bailey's little bloomers! I'm glad we never had go through that with Lucy.
Oh my gosh! Too bad we're not getting a rooster-it would be so funny to have a little Foghorn Leghorn struttin' around our backyard!

Lettie said...

nester:
Hi!
I guess we need to post a picture of the finished deck floor, although I'm not sure the battle is completely over.
Apparently we're not very good at updating!

Lettie said...

brian: sounds like he might take after his uncle :)

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.