Thursday, July 24, 2008

Hypermiling

I've entered a hypermiling competition with a few guys, and an entire lunch is at stake. The competition consists of filling up our gas tank and driving normal for 1 week. Then fill up the gas tank and compute the normal gas mileage. Now drive with any hypermiling tactics you can deal with to save gas mileage. The winner has the biggest MPG improvement between weeks.

I filled up yesterday to complete my control week. I got 24.8 MPG. I'm not pumped about that since I don't see how to improve that number much with my 1992 S-10. Chris, the crazy neighbor, is in the competition as well. He emptied his entire car interior before starting his hypermiling week. You can see a little video of the empty car on his blog: http://diycarguy.blogspot.com/2008/07/eclipse-weight-loss.html The weight savings equates to higher MPG, and he looks really cool without unnecessary interior in his car.

Here are my tactics for this week:
1. 35 psi in all the tires (they were between 22 and 26)
2. drive 5 mph less than the speed limit
3. accelerate extremely slow
4. use neutral to an extreme. coast to a stop
5. don't let Lettie drive the car AT ALL
6. use the air conditioner when I'm hot, but no more

I've thought of plenty of other tactics, but I'm not sure of their roadworthiness. To compete with the tactics of the other crazy contenders (Eclipse weight loss, drafting behind 18 wheelers, etc), I decided to streamline the aerodynamics of the truck. Here's a picture which shows duct tape sealing door handles, the junction between the bed and cab, and the bumper (all the wind eddy current creators). I bet my truck is silent and efficient through the air tomorrow. Compete with that.


I think we should continue the competition with a week of EXTREME hypermiling. I could put bicycle tires on the truck to reduce friction. I would definitely remove the bed of the truck and any other unnecessary weight. It's also been mentioned that I should build a cone in the front and back of the truck to shape the air. Any other bright ideas?

6 comments:

CJG said...

Jess laughed so hard she cried (don't feel bad, she did that about my tactics too).

I can't believe you did the duct tape - did you duct the driver's side too so you are forced to go in Dukes of Hazzard style?

The duct tape and "tear drop" shaping had been suggested to me, but I thought that was going too far. I never should have underestimated a guy that bought chickens for his backyard.

Note to self - skip work tomorrow, plan course of action to up the ante.

Anonymous said...

Couple ideas. First, jack your tire pressure up to at least 40 psi. As long as you are not carrying any heavy loads or fat people, you can run your tires at 95% pressure rating. The more you jack up your tire pressure that closer your tire contact patch will get to that of a bicycle tire. Under no circumstances run your car over 45 mph. Aerodynamically speaking, you are driving a brick. Your best mpg will come when you are at the lowest rpm's in your overdrive (I would guess around 45 mph).

If you really want to be a winner, Drop you truck a few inches, remove any luxury items you have like your stereo, you need to reduce the load on your electrical system as well. I you are willing to commit, your truck bed is probably worth 2-3 mpg. Lastly, siphon all the gas in your tank out and only put in what you need for the day plus a little extra.

Ps, your rear bumper acts as a sail, why do you think they are enclosed now.

Елизавета said...

the biggest MPG improvement: I hope this will be a percentage of your control MPG rather than simply who has the best biggest number.

Anonymous said...

Drop the tailgate and change the background to the blog.

Anonymous said...

- Drive naked
- Hunger strike
- Put a cover over the truck bed.

Anonymous said...

I wanted to add
- Give Lettie back all her Tupperware