Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Tuscaloosa

I went to the doctor and to Tuscaloosa on Monday. It was a new doctor that I was interviewing. He did a good job. He didn't change any medicine and just said let him know what's going on after a few weeks. If I'm better that's good, if I'm not then we can talk again. He didn't think a neurologist would say anything different than Wikipedia and would just waste more time.

The trip to Tuscaloosa was too much. I used all new slides for the recruiting presentation so I wasn't as familiar with the content, then I had trouble talking that much. I ended up getting flustered during the presentation with my jaw and eyes not cooperating. The whole thing erupted into a near disaster when one guy fork flicked his barbeque at me during my Lock-In Amplifier discussion. He missed, but the criticism was noted. The left side of my face really let him have it.

I'm in the process of getting out of the 2nd trip this week. Driving to Knoxville by myself won't work. I can't keep my bad eye closed and good eye open. I have to keep both eyes open, and then closed for a few seconds. I've found that sequence isn't optimal during driving. I've already complained about my eye, so I'm not counting this as my daily complaint. It's next.

My hearing is odd. Loud noises echo on my left side. This is because the same nerve also controls dampening within the ear canal. Normal talking doesn't affect my hearing, but baby cries and recuiting audience boos do.

My face swelling is barely noticeable today. I don't feel any muscle twitches yet, which might signify the nerve healing.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you found anything on acupuncture & BP? I'm not saying stick a needle down your ear canal, but it seems like that might help with healing & the pressure on that nerve.

Or you could just get Lettie to stick a needle down your ear canal.

Anonymous said...

Eye patch instructions: first you must close your eye, then tape it closed (using appropriate padding or superglue or staples, whatever you prefer), then put on the patch. Then you can drive with one good eye while your bad eye is comfortably closed.
no wonder you got married so young -

Anonymous said...

heehee

Елизавета said...

Just go to the damn acupuncturist.

Anonymous said...

Just get Jackson to stick his finger in your ear.

Alex said...

Unlike you Jerrod, Jackson understands the No Wet Willy rules of the Burns household. He doesn't want to deal with the resulting 23 hour communication ban.