Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Saving the Planet and the Cuteness

Whew!  That previous post was a tough one.  Don't worry...we hugged it out and Alex is feeling better now.  I'll try not to rant or lecture you in this post.

The Burns household has had some changes lately and we're becoming a lot more "green."  I've always tried to do my part in the green movement and as you can see from the previous post, Alex has definitely started to feel more strongly about eating more healthfully and living a more organic and planet-friendly lifestyle.

One of the big steps I have taken is to use cloth diapers on Patrick.  I had a brief hiatus with the "butt-fluff" when Jackson was almost 2, but it didn't last long.  I think I mainly wimped out with using cloth on him because I happened to be 8 months pregnant at the time and his above-average pooping schedule was a little tough on my squeamish tummy.  

Anyway...cloth diapering is going really well with Patrick.  It's really not bad at all-I'm not scared of a little poop and pee!  I only have a small supply of diapers right now, so I have to wash them every day, but I'm working on building up my supply so I can wash less often.  It's not at all complicated.  I just give them a pre-rinse in our laundry room sink and then wash them like normal clothes in warm water with Tide and dry them in the dryer.  The only difference is I cannot use fabric softener because that lessens the effectiveness of the high-tech waterproof, "wicking" fabrics.

There are a myriad of different cloth diaper choices out there.  Things have definitely changed since the cloth diapers that our parents used.  I have found that I prefer an "all-in-one" or "pocket" diaper.  These are put on just like a disposable diaper with velcro or snaps (no pins!) and they have a waterproof outer layer while the inside is soft fleece with an absorbent insert that can be removed for washing.

I have bought most of my diapers gently used from other moms on an online community and I also got a few from our friend Ellie (thanks, ellie!)  The initial expense is much more than disposable, but in the long run I will be saving a lot of money and it's definitely cheaper to buy used or trade what doesn't work with other moms.  

Above all of that, cloth diapers are just way cuter!

I can't wait to finally tell y'all about all of my latest sewing projects in my next post.  See you there!

2 comments:

Jess Gordon said...

Awwwww, he is so cute, what a heart-breaker that one's going to be!! Glad to hear things are going well with the cloth diapers :).

Anonymous said...

Have you seen/heard of Gdiapers? They are REALLY cute, but the process is a little different.