Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Sidetrack...

I promise, I really was planning on talking about sewing today, I even have a draft written and pictures lined up.  As frequently happens in my daily life, I have become sidetracked.  I often spend my days in endless frustrating loops: I can't mop until I vacuum, I can't vacuum until I pick up the toys, but I really need to do the dishes first, I think Patrick needs a diaper change...you get the point.


Today, after a few of these loops and a rushed through nap routine because I really wanted to have a diet coke in peace, I came across this quote by author and columnist Anna Quindlen:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less”(Loud and Clear [2004], 10–11).

This quote literally brought tears to my eyes.  I thought back on our struggles with fertility problems and all the things we went through to become pregnant.  I recalled all of my deals (with God) and promises (to myself) that if I could just be granted this one wish I would always live in the moment and appreciate what a true gift children are.  But...I am human.  Of course I don't cherish all of the moments.  Sometimes we all need a reminder that life is good and time passes quickly.  I WILL make good on my deals and keep my promises and not be in such a hurry to get on to the next thing. I WILL savor the moments and the frustrations and the insanity and remember how truly lucky I am.


2 comments:

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

You have articulated what I feel so wholeheartedly......I get side tracked umpteen million times a day, but those living in the moment times is what takes your breath away.

So glad you liked the granola. Play with the recipe until it is exactly how you like it. :)

Jess Gordon said...

Beautiful post Lettie!